Tuesday 26 October 2010

Oak wood - an honest days work

I think I'm going to ache tomorrow morning..... today I was chopping the last of oak wood we are going to burn to heat the house.  Is this forward planning to such a lengthy scale?  Once again I could be accused of getting slightly enthusiastic about things but this is really important!  So a very large oak tree fell down on the farm and for the past few months I've been going down chopping the thing up with some help of Mike the chainsaw expert and the wood pile is now complete.  Well when I said complete it's now rather large in fact at a guess two years worth of wood maybe more.  Which is all to do with what wood you burn and even more importantly what is the wood moisture % is when you finally try and burn it.  Why?  Yes it makes a huge difference if the wood is really dry which means less wood needed therefore less effort sawing and splitting from Matt, simple!

So more about oak, we might just be able to afford an oak frame house, possibly, just maybe.  It may be more possible as Hamish my brother in law has given us some large oak trees - see pictures.  Apart from that wonderful idea we're waiting for our 3rd planner to get back to us or Tom.  What this means I'll tell you when I actually know.  Flora thought that it would be a nice touch to replace Guy Fawkes on the 5th November with a person from the planning department which I think is quite cruel considering that we haven't even met the poor person!

No comments:

Post a Comment