Wednesday 6 October 2010

KISS

If anyone says that keeping it simple is not the way to build a house then stop reading!

Today I thankfully had a few people at work with the patience and skill to rectify the massive problem over trying to get a geothermal heating system to work!  Why has it not worked for over 5 years (well it might have done but we simply do not know) since The Longhouse was built?  Well we thought it had been?  The Longhouse has been warm over the coldest months so we all thought that the everything was ok ..... ha ha ha!  I first became concerned a few weeks ago when I was walking around the Longhouse in my socks and felt the floor was warm.  Not good.  I had turned the heating off in March.  I'm not going to try and write down what had to happen to ensure the system actually made the thing produce some heat.  My head could have banged against the wall numerous times when it was explained what didn't happen or what should have happened in the original installation.  I don't totally understand the complexities nor am I likely to in the future, as to really understand how the system is performing you really have to have a very good understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering.  So the way I see it is that if we don't want to go through the process of having to pay for heating engineers and pumps seizing up then just go simple.

Insulation is not sexy.  Journalists and men building their own houses like to research and chat about kit.  In a ever changing technological world this is a perfect example of a self interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment