Tuesday 23 November 2010

Planning meeting tomorrow, should we lose sleep?

Having phoned Tom the architect three times in the space of 7 days without an answer I really want to know when or if a planning meeting had been set up, I finally received an text.  "I'm on holiday this week but have set up a meeting for Wednesday 24th will go it alone for this one" or words to this effect.  I keep reassuring Flora that Tom is the professional and we're paying him to design our house and get it through planning.  So why do we feel we would like to go in person and fight (sorry) explain our thoughts in a calm and rational manner?  I think I might have just answered my own question!

We are both funding the lack of progress frustrating, but to keep us busy we met up with Tom the expert wall man.  Just to make it simple there are now three Tom's potentially involved in the Ropewalk house build.  Tom the architect, Tom the oak frame builder and now Tom the wall mason.  He was recommended by a neighbour who had to have some work done to her wall also in the conservation area and luckily used Tom to not only build the wall but far more importantly deal with our local conservation officer!  Last Friday we met up and talked walls which was pretty interesting.  I liked the positive in the manner of how he went around carefully explaining what could be acceptable and how we might appease the powers that be at the same time.  It's my finger in the air estimate that the walls will be around £15k (hopefully less) but I may be completely barking mad (it's not the first time) but at least we will know.  Some of our ideas may just have to wait a while after the house is finally complete, the only trouble is that we could just get used to having that wall up to the height or what we might have to wait for.

So he hasn't said but I get the feeling that Tom the architect has put all drawings on hold until this meeting tomorrow.  It may mean that we can't have a second storey or something of this nature (Tom also designed this house in a conservation area for a disabled client).  I've got to say that this sort of curved sedum roof house appeals with the slight niggle that I don't completely trust the warranty life span of the roof membrane.

No comments:

Post a Comment